Skip to main content

meet the family.

Well, yesterday was awesome. It was legendary. And honestly, very memorable. Though it's still fresh in my mind, but i have no doubt that it will stay in my mind for the next century and more.

What happened was a unique experience which i have never been through in my entire life. Yesterday marks the first. I was invited (or self-invite rather :P) to her place for a gathering to celebrate her parents' anniversary. Being at her place was not a problem because it wasn't my first, nor meeting her big family because i had dinner with them before. But it's quite a tough thing to combine both at once; meet the family at her place. Quite a scary thing i must say. As normal people, we would feel nervous meeting people for the first time. And so i did. I was so nervous and scared of how to carry myself in front of my future family members. I was scared of what to do, what to say, how to say, how to sit, where to sit, where to stand, how to eat. Everything. I was scared. I stopped at the third storey and calmed myself. I told myself that, i've come this far (at that point in time was the third storey, but in terms of my relationship, we've been through a lot), and that giving up was never a choice, so probably the only right thing and the only moral thing to do is grow a pair of ball sack and meet her family. I don't even know why i was so nervous. But i told myself it's going to go smooth and needs a little adjusting. And so we continued up the fourth storey. I was greeted with all her family members' glistening smiles and welcoming hellos. I felt so relaxed and so happy. I felt at home. I never felt like this before. It was a brand new feeling. Like you've just been born again. I feel accepted and belonged. Of course meeting people for the first time would naturally be awkward. So there were tiny conversations here and there with her aunts and uncles whom tried to, i suppose, make me feel really at home. But i didn't want to strip half naked and lie down like my house. Hahaha. I just sat in a quiet corner and waited for her to direct me what to do. I enjoyed the atmosphere that her family has and it is exactly the same as my family, i'd say. So the subtle difference didn't occur to me and it made me accept them as my own immediately. I thought to myself, i am going to marry her, and they are going to be my family, so no matter what, they are still related to me. I know they are the ones whom i can depend on. At that point of time, i just sat and relaxed. I observed and ate my food and it really feels like i've known them since the beginning of time. They are all so funny and they really are a bunch of happy folks which also makes me extremely happy.

Ironically, this stranger called Yazid was the last to leave the house. And to make it worse, her sleepy father had to send me home. I really felt bad because he was sleepy and driving me home was not a good idea but he insisted so i kept quiet, like a good boy. It only goes to show that not only the family was nice and welcoming, even her parents had feels. Her mother and father was always welcoming and i never felt alienated. I felt really belonged. I felt like i was already her family.

I must say, doing things for the first time is indeed scary but most of the time worth the try. So, do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alhamdulillah, i am grateful for everything.

Wow. Five years since my last post. Well, a whole lot has changed in five years. I never knew what dreams are made of and i never knew what it was like to achieve your dreams. Through hard work and pure grit and determination, you can achieve your dream. There will be times where you think your goal is just out of reach or it will take you a longer time than originally hoped for but trust yourself to make small leaps of faith and many unimaginable things can be achieved. As a Muslim, i believe Allah is the best of planners and alhamdulillah, He is the best of planners. There were times i doubted myself about my life and what i wanted to do because the journey to achieve my dreams is taking longer than i had imagined. Five years ago i was still in the National Service serving in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) as a Third Sergeant taking NSmen for Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) and conducting Remedial Training (RT) as well as IPPT Preparatory Training (IPT). In 2014, i had

two is better than one.

it's 12th August, which means i am into the 12th day of fasting. how was is that! it felt like only yesterday that Ramadan started. THANK GOD! but 12th August also means 13 days to Prelims! and 70+ days to Os? damn. i really got to work my shit out and start revising. i bet the entire cohort says that but not working their butts, including me. where's our motivation?! teachers' are all getting stressed out instead of us. haiyo. i wonder what is happening to the Singaporean kids nowadays. cheyyy. uhm, k quick update. life = mundane. by right, i shouldn't be seeing this page often anymore. it's time to focus on the books and papers and TYS and booklets and answer sheets and what not. mati la like that. oh, and congrats to my beloved English teacher, Mrs Rupesh on the birth of a baby girl. we love you and please enjoy your maternity. ;)

A Lonely September.

I'm sittin' here all by myself just tryin' to think of something to do. Tryin' to think of something, anything just to keep me from thinking of you. But you know it's not working out 'cause you're all that's on my mind. One thought of you is all it takes to leave the rest of the world behind I'm sittin' here tryin' to convince myself. that you're not the one for me. But the more I think, the less I believe it and the more I want you here with me. You know the holidays are coming up I don't want to spend them alone.